- Rhymes: -əʊstɪŋ
- The practice of hiding prisoners from inspection from (possibly hostile) outside inspectors.
- (electronics, television) The effect that interference caused by a multipath reception problem has on a television screen.
- (computing) Ghost imaging.
- A form of identity theft in which someone steals the identity, and sometimes even the role within society, of a specific dead person (the "ghost") who is not widely known to be deceased.
- (computing) A problem with a keyboard where certain simultaneous keypresses trigger the action of a further key that was not in fact pressed.
- 2011, John St. Clair, Project Arcade: Build Your Own Arcade Machine, page 218:
- Examine your matrix map, and make sure that no three keystrokes form a rectangle with a fourth keystroke that will cause you problems. This prevents both ghosting and blocking.
- (slang) A method of ending a personal relationship by stopping any contact with the other party and not providing an explanation. [from 2014]
- Stories of ghosting often deal with broken-off romances, but it's worth mentioning that friend ghosting is real, and sometimes necessary.
practice of hiding prisoners
appearance of ghosts on a television screen
a form of identity theft
a way to break relationship