Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ækt
contact (plural contacts)
- The act of touching physically; being in close association.
1935, George Goodchild, chapter 1, Death on the Centre Court:
- She mixed furniture with the same fatal profligacy as she mixed drinks, and this outrageous contact between things which were intended by Nature to be kept poles apart gave her an inexpressible thrill.
- The establishment of communication (with).
- I haven't been in contact with her for years.
1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 1, The Celebrity:
- In the old days, […], he gave no evidences of genius whatsoever. He never read me any of his manuscripts, […], and therefore my lack of detection of his promise may in some degree be pardoned. But he had then none of the oddities and mannerisms which I hold to be inseparable from genius, and which struck my attention in after days when I came in contact with the Celebrity.
- A nodule designed to connect a device with something else.
- Touch the contact to ground and read the number again.
- Someone with whom one is in communication.
- The salesperson had a whole binder full of contacts for potential clients.
- (informal) A contact lens.
- (electricity) A device designed for repetitive connections.
- (informal, by ellipsis) Contact juggling.
- I bought myself a new contact ball last week
- (mining) The plane between two adjacent bodies of dissimilar rock.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Raymond to this entry?)
- body contact
- contact hitter
- eye contact
- first contact
- golden contact
- point of contact / POC
an act of touching physically
an establishment of communication
colloquial: a contact lens (see contact lens)
electrical: a device designed for repetitive connections
someone with whom one is in communication
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (transitive) To touch; to come into physical contact with.
- The side of the car contacted the pedestrian.
- (transitive) To establish communication with something or someone
- I am trying to contact my sister.
establish communication with
contact m (plural contacts)
- (physical) contact; contact (with another person)
- contact (person that one knows)
- Vous avez un bon contact avec les enfants - you have a good rapport with children