Jump to navigation Jump to search
- At a time in the past, especially the distant past.
- There was a Roman fort here long ago.
- How long ago did she die? It's not that long ago that she did.
- 2013 July-August, Catherine Clabby, “Focus on Everything”, in American Scientist[=http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/2013/4/focus-on-everything]:
- Not long ago, it was difficult to produce photographs of tiny creatures with every part in focus. That’s because the lenses that are excellent at magnifying tiny subjects produce a narrow depth of field. A photo processing technique called focus stacking has changed that.
at a time in the distant past
- Existing in the relatively distant past.
- 2012 October 7, Austen, Ian, “Canada Puts Spotlight on War of 1812, With U.S. as Villain”, in New York Times:
- The answer, according to James Moore, who as minister of Canadian heritage is in charge of the campaign, is that the government simply wants the long-ago war, which few Canadians know well, to be remembered.
- 2019 July 18, “B/R NFL Expert Picks for 2019 Division Winners”, in Bleacher Report:
- Back in the long ago days of the 2000 season, the New England Patriots were a 5-11 mess of a team that finished in the cellar of the AFC East. It was an inauspicious start to the tenure of head coach Bill Belichick.