Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
nowhere (not comparable)
- In no place.
- Nowhere did the rules say anything about popcorn.
- To no place.
- We sat in traffic, going nowhere.
in no place
to no place
nowhere (plural nowheres)
- No particular place, noplace.
- They went on a cruise to nowhere.
1912, Charles Inge, “Nemesis or Bad Luck?”, The Windsor magazine, volume 36, page 95:
- While they paced the platform of the station, they reviewed the career of misdemeanours—Nutley, Chiddiugstone, Midhurst, Penn, and many nowheres, and now Aylesbury.
1996 Oct, Indianapolis Monthly, volume 20, page 115:
- Oh, not the middle of nowhere like the rest of Indiana, but a nowhere so flat and ugly you want to lie down in a ditch and never get up again.
2005, Dave Finkelstein; Jack London, Philip Caputo, Greater Nowheres: Wanderings Across the Outback, page xxiv:
- But some Nowheres do still exist and are there to be found by any genuinely free spirit willing to hook a caravan behind his four-wheel-drive and dream, say, of finding that isolated campsite beside an as yet undiscovered waterhole