Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (intransitive) To look with the eyes partly closed, as in bright sunlight, or as a threatening expression.
The children squinted to frighten each other.
1907, Robert William Chambers, chapter IX, in The Younger Set (Project Gutenberg; EBook #14852), New York, N.Y.: A. L. Burt Company, published 1 February 2005 (Project Gutenberg version), OCLC 4241346:
- “A tight little craft,” was Austin’s invariable comment on the matron; […]. ¶ Near her wandered her husband, orientally bland, invariably affable, and from time to time squinting sideways, as usual, in the ever-renewed expectation that he might catch a glimpse of his stiff, retroussé moustache.
- (intransitive) To look or glance sideways.
- (intransitive) To look with, or have eyes that are turned in different directions; to suffer from strabismus.
- (intransitive, figuratively) To have an indirect bearing, reference, or implication; to have an allusion to, or inclination towards, something.
- The Forum
- Yet if the following sentence means anything, it is a squinting toward hypnotism.
- The Forum
- (intransitive, Scotland) To be not quite straight, off-centred; to deviate from a true line; to run obliquely.
- (transitive) To turn to an oblique position; to direct obliquely.
to squint an eye
to look with the eyes partly closed, as in bright sunlight
to look or glance sideways
to look with, or have eyes that are turned in different directions
squint (plural squints)
- An expression in which the eyes are partly closed.
- The look of eyes which are turned in different directions, as in strabismus.
- He looks handsome although he's got a slight squint.
- A quick or sideways glance.
- A short look.
- A hagioscope.
- (radio transmission) The angle by which the transmission signal is offset from the normal of a phased array antenna.
expression in which the eyes are partly closed
look of eyes which are turned in different directions, like in strabismus
quick or sideways glance
hagioscope — see hagioscope
offset angle of transmission