Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Internet slang, text messaging) thui
- (colloquial) (used sentence-finally) that's all; merely; only; just
- (colloquial) (used sentence-initially) introduces a new statement that contradicts previously stated statement(s)
- As a particle used initially in sentences, thôi is often used with mà and thì, as mà thôi and thôi thì.
- Also, when used as a sentence-initial particle, the sentence-final particles đi and thôi ("that's all; merely; only") are usually utilized to clarify the quantity mentioned in the new statement compared to the previous statement:
- Thôi cho hai phần đi.
- On second thought, I want to order two portions (I originally ordered just one portion).
- Thôi cho hai phần thôi.
- On second thought, I want to order two portions (I originally ordered three or more portions).
- Colloquially, thôi is one of the instances where aspirated stops sometimes shift into just /h/ in Vietnamese, so that thôi is pronouced as hôi. Compare also hông (from không).
- Sometimes spelled thui in the Internet although the word is rarely pronounced as such. Compare rùi (from rồi).
- to discolour