伺 (radical 9, 人+5, 7 strokes, cangjie input 人尸一口 (OSMR), four-corner 27220, composition ⿰亻司)
- serve, wait upon, attend
- KangXi: page 97, character 8
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 483
- Dae Jaweon: page 205, character 14
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 1, page 139, character 5
- Unihan data for U+4F3A
|Historical forms of the character 伺
Transcribed ancient scripts
Mostly from Richard Sears' Chinese Etymology site (authorisation),
which in turn draws data from various collections of ancient forms of Chinese characters, including:
- Shuowen Jiezi (small seal),
- Jinwen Bian (bronze inscriptions),
- Liushutong (Liushutong characters) and
- Yinxu Jiaguwen Bian (oracle bone script).
Phono-semantic compound (形聲, OC *slɯ, *slɯs): semantic 人 (“person, man”) + phonetic 司 (OC *slɯ) – a person stands beside (attends), looks in.
- to spy; to examine
- to wait
- Only used in 伺候 (cìhou).
(common “Jōyō” kanji)
- Inquire [ask] after
- Inquire about/ask
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 0053 Kanji. Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary: Revised and Expanded, Hepburn, Jack. 2013.
伺 • (sa) (hangeul 사, revised sa, McCune–Reischauer sa)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text