Simplified from 晝 (聿 → 尺)
昼 (radical 72 日+5, 9 strokes, cangjie input 尸人日一 (SOAM), composition ⿵尺旦)
- daytime, daylight
- KangXi: not present, would follow page 494, character 18
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 13886
- Dae Jaweon: page 859, character 7
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 2, page 1504, character 3
- Unihan data for U+663C
|For pronunciation and definitions of 昼 – see 晝.
(This character, 昼, is the simplified form of 晝.)
(grade 2 “Kyōiku” kanji, shinjitai kanji, kyūjitai form 晝)
From 日 (hi, “sun”) + る (ru, suffix expressing state or change), as in the time when the sun is at its highest point in the sky (Can this(+) etymology be sourced?). Compare 夜 (yoru, “nighttime”).
昼 (hiragana ひる, rōmaji hiru)
- noon (12 p.m.)
- a meal eaten around the noon; lunch