Jump to navigation Jump to search
|10,000||chariot pulled by a team of four horses|
In the Zhou Dynasty, a system was enacted whereby the emperor would be allotted a 1,000 li plot of land, along with a fleet of 10,000 chariots (萬乘／万乘). Later on, the term 萬乘／万乘 came to refer to the emperor.
- (archaic) the emperor
- (archaic) 10,000 war chariots (each pulled by a team of four horses)
- 萬乘之國弒其君者，必千乘之家。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: Mencius, circa 4th century BCE
- Wànshèng zhī guó shì qí jūn zhě, bì qiānshèng zhī jiā. [Pinyin]
- In the kingdom of ten thousand chariots, the murderer of his sovereign shall be the chief of a family of a thousand chariots.
万乘之国弑其君者，必千乘之家。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]