Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
crest (plural crests)
- A tuft, or other excrescence or natural ornament, growing on an animal's head; the comb of a cock; the swelling on the head of a serpent; the lengthened feathers of the crown or nape of bird, etc.
- The plume of feathers, or other decoration, worn on or displayed on a helmet; the distinctive ornament of a helmet.
- (heraldry): A bearing worn, not upon the shield, but usually on a helmet above it, sometimes (as for clerics) separately above the shield or separately as a mark for plate, in letterheads, and the like.
- The upper curve of a horse's neck.
- The ridge or top of a wave.
- The summit of a hill or mountain ridge.
- The helm or head, as typical of a high spirit; pride; courage.
- The ornamental finishing which surmounts the ridge of a roof, canopy, etc.
- The top line of a slope or embankment.
- A design or logo, especially one of an institution, association or high-class family.
2012 April 26, Tasha Robinson, “Film: Reviews: The Pirates! Band Of Misfits :”, in The Onion AV Club:
- Hungry for fame and the approval of rare-animal collector Queen Victoria (Imelda Staunton), Darwin deceives the Captain and his crew into believing they can get enough booty to win the pirate competition by entering Polly in a science fair. So the pirates journey to London in cheerful, blinkered defiance of the Queen, a hotheaded schemer whose royal crest reads simply “I hate pirates.”
- Any of several birds in the family Regulidae, including the goldcrests and firecrests.
animal’s or bird’s tuft
ridge or top of a wave
- Particularly with reference to waves, to reach a peak.
- To furnish with, or surmount as, a crest; to serve as a crest for.
- His legs bestrid the ocean, his reared arm / Crested the world.
- groves of clouds that crest the mountain's brow
- To mark with lines or streaks like waving plumes.
- Like as the shining sky in summer's night, […] / Is crested with lines of fiery light.