Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- 1 English
- 2 French
- 3 Friulian
- 4 Old French
plume (plural plumes)
- A feather of a bird, especially a large or showy one.
- wings […] of many a coloured plume
- The furry tail of certain dog breeds (e.g. Samoyed, Malteagle) that stands erect or curls over their backs.
- A cluster of feathers worn as an ornament, especially on a helmet.
- his high plume, that nodded o'er his head
- A token of honour or prowess; that on which one prides oneself; a prize or reward.
- ambitious to win from me some plume
- An area over which (or aspace into which) a dispersed substance has spread or fanned out; a cloud.
- An upward spray of water or mist.
- (geology) An upwelling of molten material from the Earth's mantle.
- (astronomy) An arc of glowing material erupting from the surface of a star.
- A large and flexible panicle of inflorescence resembling a feather, such as is seen in certain large ornamental grasses.
cluster of feathers
token of honour or prowess; that on which one prides oneself; a prize or reward
area over which (or space into which) a dispersed substance has spread or fanned out; a cloud
geology: upwelling of molten material
astronomy: arc of glowing material
- (transitive) To preen and arrange the feathers of.
- Washington Irving
- pluming her wings among the breezy bowers
- Washington Irving
- (transitive) To congratulate (oneself) proudly.
- He plumes himself on his skill.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of South to this entry?)
- To strip of feathers; to pluck; to strip; to pillage; also, to peel.
- To adorn with feathers or plumes.
- Farewell the plumed troop.
- To form a plume.
- Smoke plumed from his pipe then slowly settled towards the floor.
- To write; to pen.
to congratulate oneself proudly
to adorn with plumes
to write; to pen
plume f (plural plumes)
- first-person singular present indicative of
- third-person singular present indicative of
- first-person singular present subjunctive of
- third-person singular present subjunctive of
- second-person singular imperative of
- “plume” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
plume f (plural plumis)
- plume, feather