Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Of or pertaining to a mother; having the characteristics of a mother, motherly.
- His weakness seemed to bring out her maternal instincts.
- Related through the mother, or her side of the family.
- Toby is my maternal uncle.
- (anatomy, medicine) Derived from the mother as opposed to the foetus during pregnancy.
- paternal – father
of or pertaining to a mother
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- maternal (of or relating to mothers)
maternal m (plural maternais)
- a school for young children
maternal m, f (plural maternales)