Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To poke, to push, to touch.
- To encourage, to prompt.
2012 January 1, Michael Riordan, “Tackling Infinity”, in American Scientist, volume 100, number 1, page 86:
- Some of the most beautiful and thus appealing physical theories, including quantum electrodynamics and quantum gravity, have been dogged for decades by infinities that erupt when theorists try to prod their calculations into new domains. Getting rid of these nagging infinities has probably occupied far more effort than was spent in originating the theories.
prod (plural prods)
- A device (now often electrical) used to goad livestock into moving.
- A prick or stab with such a pointed instrument.
- A poke.
- "It's your turn," she reminded me, giving me a prod on the shoulder.
- A light kind of crossbow; a prodd.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Fairholt to this entry?)
device used to goad livestock into moving