Recorded in English from 1433, "income from property or possessions", from Middle French revenue, from Old French [Term?] (“a return”) (modern French revenu), the prop. feminine past participle of revenir (“come back”) (=modern French), from Latin revenire (“to return, come back”), from re- (“back”) + venire (“to come”).
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɹɛvənjuː/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɹɛvənju/, IPA(key): /ˈɹɛvənu/
Audio (US) (file)
- The income returned by an investment.
- The total income received from a given source.
- All income generated for some political entity's treasury by taxation and other means.
- (accounting) The total sales; turnover.
- (accounting) The net revenue, net sales.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
From the verb revenir.
revenue f (plural revenues)