Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
scholar (plural scholars)
- A student; one who studies at school or college, typically having a scholarship.
- A specialist in a particular branch of knowledge.
- A learned person; a bookman.
2013 September-October, Henry Petroski, “The Evolution of Eyeglasses”, American Scientist:
- The ability of a segment of a glass sphere to magnify whatever is placed before it was known around the year 1000, when the spherical segment was called a reading stone, […] . Scribes, illuminators, and scholars held such stones directly over manuscript pages as an aid in seeing what was being written, drawn, or read.
a student; one who studies at school or college, typically having a scholarship
specialist in a particular branch of knowledge
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- scholar in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- scholar in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911