Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Virgin
virgin (plural virgins)
- A person who has never had sexual intercourse, or sometimes, one who has never engaged in any sexual activity at all.
- I've always wanted to sleep with a virgin but I don't see it happening.
- (informal) One who has never used or experienced a specified thing.
- I've never eaten tofu before – you could say I'm a tofu virgin.
- Any of several species of gossamer-winged butterflies of the family Lycaenidae.
- A female insect producing eggs from which young are hatched, though there has been no fecundation by a male; a parthenogenetic insect.
- (person who has never had sexual intercourse): maiden (dated; used of a woman only), unicorn bait (slang, jocular), virgo intacta (medical term; used of a woman only), vestal
person who has never had sexual intercourse
virgin (not comparable)
- In a state of virginity; chaste, not having had sexual intercourse.
- Innocence and virgin modesty […] / That would be wooed, and unsought be won.
- 1913, DH Lawrence, Sons and Lovers, Penguin 2006, p. 294:
- He was now about twenty-three years old, and, though still virgin, the sex instinct that Miriam had over refined for so long now grew particularly strong.
- 2009, Diarmaid MacCulloch, A History of Christianity, Penguin 2010, p. 314:
- Helvidius […] took the plain meaning of scripture to say that Jesus patently had brothers and sisters, so therefore his mother, Mary, had enjoyed a normal family life rather than remaining perpetually virgin.
- Of a physical object, untouched.
- the white cold virgin snow upon my heart
- Of olive oil, obtained by mechanical means, so that the oil is not altered.
- Of mixed drinks, not containing alcohol.
- a virgin daiquiri
of a person, in a state of virginity
of an object, untouched
of olive oil
- vergin (popular, dated)
- virgin, that which has not had sexual intercourse, chaste, maiden, virginal
- untouched, clean, stainless, immaculate, pure