- Third-person singular simple present indicative form of die.
- Plural form of die (when used in the sense of a pattern)
- Plural form of dia
A shortening of dieses
- Rhymes: -iːs
- IPA: /ˈdɪ.eːs/
- day (any period of twenty-four hours)
- day (part of a day period between sunrise and sunset where one enjoys daylight)
- (often in the feminine) a set day or appointed time; date, appointment
Diēs is an exceptional case of a fifth declension noun since it is both used in the masculine form and in the feminine form, instead of just feminine like the rest of the fifth declension nouns. The masculine use is more common, and almost invariable in the plural. The feminine use is found in the singular when the day is being personified as a goddess, when it refers to a specific day (e.g., the date of a letter, or an appointed day for business), when it refers to the passing of time, and occasionally in other contexts.
Derived terms 
Related terms 
From Proto-Slavic *dьnьsь