Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (RP) IPA: /hɜːˈsɛlf/, X-SAMPA: /h3:"sElf/
- (GenAm) IPA: /hɝˈsɛlf/, X-SAMPA: /h3`s"Elf/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛlf
- Hyphenation: her‧self
- (reflexive) her; the female object of a verb or preposition that also appears as the subject
- She injured herself.
- (emphatic) she; an intensive repetition of the female subject, often used to indicate the exclusiveness of that person as the only satisfier of the predicate
- She was injured herself.
- (slang) A self-important female
- What's herself up to this time?
(reflexive object) her
(as intensifier) she
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
English personal pronouns
|Number||Person||Gender||Subject||Objective||Reflexive||Possessive adjective||Possessive pronoun|