|favor; kind act (from above)|
|simp. and trad.
- 柳下惠為士師，三黜。人曰：「子未可以去乎？」曰：「直道而事人，焉往而不三黜？枉道而事人，何必去父母之邦？」 [Classical Chinese, trad.][▼ expand/hide]
- 柳下惠为士师，三黜。人曰：“子未可以去乎？”曰：“直道而事人，焉往而不三黜？枉道而事人，何必去父母之邦？” [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- From: The Analects of Confucius, circa 475 – 221 BCE, Wiktionary translation
- Liǔxiàhuì wéi shìshī, sānchù. Rén yuē: “Zǐ wèi kěyǐ qù hū?” Yuē: “Zhí dào ér shì rén, yān wǎng ér bù sānchù? Wǎng dào ér shì rén, hébì qù fùmǔ zhī bāng?” [Pinyin]
- Hui of Liuxia was a judge who had been dismissed from office on a number of occasions. People said, "Can't you leave?" He said, "If I render service to people while on the straight (moral) path, how do you know that I will not be dismissed again after going somewhere else? If I render service to people while on a crooked (moral) path, why would I need to leave the homeland of my parents?"