Jump to navigation Jump to search
backlash (plural backlashes)
- A sudden backward motion.
- A negative reaction, objection or outcry, especially of a violent or abrupt nature.
- The public backlash to the proposal was quick and insistent.
- (mechanics) The distance through which one part of connected machinery, as a wheel, piston, or screw, can be moved without moving the connected parts, resulting from looseness in fitting or from wear.
- The jarring or reflex motion caused in badly fitting machinery by irregularities in velocity or a reverse of motion.
sudden backward motion
violent or abrubt reaction
mechanical: distance of free movement between connected parts
jarring motion in badly fitting machinery
- To cause or set off a backlash.
- (The addition of quotations indicative of this usage is being sought):