Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: bârrage
barrage (plural barrages)
- an artificial obstruction, such as a dam, in a river designed to increase its depth or to divert its flow
- a heavy curtain of artillery fire directed in front of one's own troops to screen and protect them (Wikipedia)
- a concentrated discharge of projectile weapons
- 2006, Edwin Black, chapter 1, in Internal Combustion:
- Blast after blast, fiery outbreak after fiery outbreak, like a flaming barrage from within, […] most of Edison's grounds soon became an inferno. As though on an incendiary rampage, the fires systematically devoured the contents of Edison's headquarters and facilities.
- (by extension) an overwhelming outburst of words, especially of criticism
- (fencing) A "next hit wins" contest to determine the winner of a bout in case of a tie.
artificial obstruction, such as a dam, in a river
heavy curtain of artillery fire
concentrated discharge of projectile weapons
overwhelming outburst of words
"next hit wins" fight-off
barrage m (plural barrages)
- “barrage” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).