Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To defeat in combat; to subjugate.
In 1453, the Ottoman Empire conquered Istanbul.
- Alexander Pope (1688-1744)
- We conquered France, but felt our captive's charms.
- To overcome an abstract obstacle.
Today I conquered my fear of flying by finally boarding a plane.
to conquer difficulties or temptations
- John Milton (1608-1674)
- By winning words to conquer hearts, / And make persuasion do the work of fear.
1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 8, in The Celebrity:
- The humor of my proposition appealed more strongly to Miss Trevor than I had looked for, and from that time forward she became her old self again; for, even after she had conquered her love for the Celebrity, the mortification of having been jilted by him remained.
- To gain, win, or obtain by effort.
to conquer freedom; to conquer a peace
- To acquire by force of arms, win in war.
defeat in combat