Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Incapable of producing results; useless; not successful; not worth attempting.
1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 4, The Celebrity:
- No matter how early I came down, I would find him on the veranda, smoking cigarettes, or […] . And at last I began to realize in my harassed soul that all elusion was futile, and to take such holidays as I could get, when he was off with a girl, in a spirit of thankfulness.
2011 December 15, Marc Higginson, “Shamrock Rovers 0-4 Tottenham”, BBC Sport:
- Goals from Steven Pienaar, Andros Townsend, Jermain Defoe and Harry Kane sealed the win, but Rubin Kazan's 1-1 draw against PAOK Salonika rendered Spurs' efforts futile.
incapable of producing results
futile (masculine and feminine, plural futiles)
- "futile" in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
futile m, f (masculine and feminine plural futili)
- nominative neuter singular of
- accusative neuter singular of
- vocative neuter singular of