From Proto-Austronesian *maʀ-, likely a portmanteau of the original actor trigger affix *-um- (inherited as Tagalog -um-) and *paʀ- (Tagalog pag-), as is the case in other actor trigger affixes (mang- from pang- + -um-, and ma- from pa-/ka- + -um-).
- Actor trigger/focus verb prefix, used to express:
- An action.
- Magluluto ako ng pagkain. ― I will cook food.
- The taking up of an occupation.
- Nagdoktor si Mary noong 1987. ― Mary became a doctor in 1987.
- The use or wearing of something.
- Hindi siya marunong mag-Ingles. ― He doesn't know how to speak (use) English.
- Mag-amerikana ka at malamig sa labas. ― Wear a coat because it's cold outside.
- A reciprocal action (for some verbs).
- Mag-usap muna tayo. ― Let's talk to each other first.
- (with CV reduplication): An action done repeatedly, continually, or intensely.
- Nagsisisigaw ang mga bata. ― The children are screaming so much.
- (with root word reduplication): A reciprocal action involving three or more doers.
- Magkikita-kita tayo sa susunod na linggo. ― We will see one another next week.
- (with root word reduplication): An action done occasionally, at random, a little, a bit, now and then, or here and there.
- Naglakad-lakad si Pedro sa mall. ― Pedro walked a bit in the mall.
- An action.
- Verb prefix with no trigger/focus used to express being, occurrence, or existence.
- Magpa-Pasko na bukas! ― It will be Christmas tomorrow!
- Maghahating-gabi na. ― It is almost midnight.
- Noun prefix used to indicate:
- Relationship between two persons.
- (with CV reduplication): Relationship among three or more persons.
- (with CV reduplication): Occupation.
If the root word begins with a vowel or the root word is a proper noun, insert a hyphen after the prefix.
Also see usage notes at um-.