Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- 1 English
- 2 Danish
- 3 French
- 4 Latin
- 5 Norman
- 6 Norwegian Bokmål
- 7 Norwegian Nynorsk
- 8 Swedish
- enPR: märʹ-tər, IPA(key): /ˈmɑrtər/
- Rhymes: -ɑː(r)tə(r)
martyr (plural martyrs)
- One who willingly accepts being put to death for adhering openly to one's religious beliefs; notably, saints canonized after martyrdom.
- Saint Stephen was the first Christian martyr.
- (by extension) One who sacrifices his or her life, station, or something of great personal value, for the sake of principle or to sustain a cause.
- (with a prepositional phrase of cause) One who suffers greatly and/or constantly, even involuntarily.
- Stan is a martyr to arthritis, Chris a martyr to Stan's endless moaning about it.
1937, AJ Cronin, The Citadel:
- He'd been a martyr to asthma all his life.
Terms derived from martyr
one willing to be killed for religion
one who sacrifices their life for an important cause
one who suffers greatly, even involuntarily
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (transitive) To make someone into a martyr by putting him or her to death for adhering to, or acting in accordance with, some belief, especially religious; to sacrifice on account of faith or profession.
- (transitive) To persecute.
- Some religious and other minorities were martyred until extinction.
- (transitive) To torment; to torture.
- The lovely Amoret, whose gentle heart
- Thou martyrest with sorrow and with smart. — Spenser
to make someone a martyr
persecute — see persecute
torture — see torture
Declension of martyr
- “martyr” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- martyr in Charlton T. Lewis and Charles Short (1879) A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press
- MARTYR in Charles du Fresne du Cange’s Glossarium Mediæ et Infimæ Latinitatis (augmented edition, 1883–1887)
martyr m (plural martyrs)
- (religion) martyr
- “martyr” in The Bokmål Dictionary.
- “martyr” in The Nynorsk Dictionary.
|Inflection of martyr|