Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (intransitive) To feel pain, sorrow, or regret for what one has done or omitted to do; the cause for repenting may be indicated with "of".
- (theology, intransitive) To be sorry for sin as morally evil, and to seek forgiveness; to cease to practice sin and to love.
- If you're a true Muslim, you should repent to Allah.
- (transitive) To feel pain on account of; to remember with sorrow.
- (transitive) To be sorry for, to regret.
- I repent my sins.
- (archaic, transitive) To cause to have sorrow or regret.
- (obsolete, reflexive) To cause (oneself) to feel pain or regret.
to feel sorrow or regret for what one has done or omitted to do
theology: to be sorry for sin as morally evil, and to seek forgiveness
to feel pain on account of, to remember with sorrow
to feel sorry for, to regret
to cause to have sorrow or regret
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- repent in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- repent in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913