Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (intransitive) To feel pain, sorrow, or regret for what one has done or omitted to do; the cause for repenting may be indicated with "of".
- (theology, intransitive) To be sorry for sin as morally evil, and to seek forgiveness; to cease to practice sin and to love.
- If you're a true Muslim, you should repent to Allah.
- (transitive) To feel pain on account of; to remember with sorrow.
- (transitive) To be sorry for, to regret.
- I repent my sins.
- (archaic, transitive) To cause to have sorrow or regret.
- (obsolete, reflexive) To cause (oneself) to feel pain or regret.
to feel sorrow or regret for what one has done or omitted to do
theology: to cease to love and practice sin
to feel pain on account of; to remember with sorrow
to feel sorry for, to regret
to cause to have sorrow or regret
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- repent in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- repent in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913