Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A sharp stick used in ancient times for writing in clay tablets or other surfaces; a sharp tool for engraving.
2013 September 14, Jane Shilling, “The Golden Thread: the Story of Writing, by Ewan Clayton, review [print edition: Illuminating language]”, in The Daily Telegraph (Review), page R28:
- [T]he pleasure of writing on wax with a stylus is exemplified by the fine, flowing hand of a Roman scribe who made out the birth certificate of Herennia Gemella, born March 128 AD.
- A phonograph needle.
- A small plastic stick used as a pen for writing on the touch sensitive screen of an electronic gadget.
- A tool for making small dots on a piece of heavy paper, used to produce Braille writing for the blind by hand.
tool for writing on clay tablets
pen for writing on touch-sensitive screen
tool for writing Braille
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- stylus (small plastic stick used as a pen for writing on the touch sensitive screen of an electronic gadget)
Declension of stylus
- Alternative form of