From Middle English mist, from Old English mist (“mist; darkness; dimness (of eyesight)”), from Proto-Germanic *mihstaz (“mist, fog”), from Proto-Indo-European *migʰ-, *migʰ-lo- (“drizzle, fog”), from Proto-Indo-European *meygʰ- (“to flicker, blink, be dark; cloud, mist”). Cognate with Scots mist (“mist, fog”), West Frisian mist (“mist”), Dutch mist (“mist”), Low German Mist (“manure”), German Mist (“manure”), Swedish mist (“mist, fog”), Swedish mistur (“mist”), West Frisian miegelje (“to drizzle”), Dutch dialectal miggelen, miegelen (“to drizzle”), Lithuanian miglà (“fog”), Russian мгла (mgla, “fog, haze”).
- (uncountable) Water or other liquid finely suspended in air.
- It was difficult to see through the morning mist.
- (countable) A layer of fine droplets or particles.
- There was an oily mist on the lens.
- (figuratively) Anything that dims or darkens, and obscures or intercepts vision.
- His passion cast a mist before his sense.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- To form mist.
- It's misting this morning.
- To spray fine droplets on, particularly of water.
- I mist my tropical plants every morning.
- To cover with a mist.
- The lens was misted.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shakespeare to this entry?)
- (of the eyes) To be covered by tears.
- My eyes misted when I remembered what had happened.
- fog, mist
- second- and third-person singular present indicative of missen
- plural imperative of missen
- first-, second- and third-person singular present indicative of misten
- imperative of misten
- fog (cloud that forms at a low altitude and obscures vision)
This Swedish entry was created from the translations listed at fog. It may be less reliable than other entries, and may be missing parts of speech or additional senses. Please also see mist in the Swedish Wiktionary. This notice will be removed when the entry is checked. (more information) May 2009