Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Hyphenation: con‧vict
- (transitive) To find guilty, as a result of legal proceedings, or (informal) in a moral sense.
- (chiefly religion) To convince, persuade; to cause (someone) to believe in (something).
- Synonym: convince
to find guilty
convict (plural convicts)
- (law) A person convicted of a crime by a judicial body.
- A person deported to a penal colony.
- Synonym: penal colonist
- (zoology) The convict cichlid (Amatitlania nigrofasciata), also known as the zebra cichlid, a popular aquarium fish, with stripes that resemble a prison uniform.
- (zoology) A common name for the sheepshead (Archosargus probatocephalus), owing to its black and gray stripes.
person convicted of a crime
person deported to a penal colony