- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkɒnvɪkt/
- (US) AHD: kŏn'vĭkt; IPA(key): /ˈkɑnvɪkt/
Audio (US), noun (file)
- (transitive) To find guilty
- as a result of legal proceedings, about of a crime
- informally, notably in a moral sense; said about both perpetrator and act.
to find guilty
to find guilty informally, notably morally
convict (plural convicts)
- (law) A person convicted of a crime by a judicial body.
- A person deported to a penal colony.
- A common name for the sheepshead (Archosargus probatocephalus), owing to its black and stripes.
- (person convicted of crime): assigned servant, con, government man, public servant
- (person deported to a penal colony): penal colonist
- con (synonym)
person convicted of a crime
person deported to a penal colony