Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
guna (plural gunas)
- (Sanskrit linguistics) A lengthening of the simple vowels a, i, e, by prefixing an a element.
- In Hindu philosophy, any of the three fundamental operating principles or tendencies of prakṛti (universal nature): sattva, rajas, and tamas.
From Proto-Central New South Wales *gunang, from Proto-Pama-Nyungan *kuna.
- Barry Alpher Proto-Pama-Nyungan etyma, in Australian Languages: Classification and the Comparative Method, edited by Claire Bowern and Harold Koch (Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company, 2004)
- Peter Austin, A Reference Dictionary of Gamilaraay, northern New South Wales (1993)
gunā̀ f (plural gunoni)
- small melon
- An epithet for someone who is not as strong as expected.
- (colloquial) A girl who is physically mature with developed breasts.
- to defecate
- (Portugal, informal) a street thug whose major criminal offence is robbery committed as a gang action
- The collective plural gunada is also used.