Jump to navigation Jump to search
to cut and polish to carve and polish; to polish and refine a literary work simp. and trad.
切磋 琢磨 variant forms 切瑳琢磨
- (original meaning) to carve and polish (bones, horns, ivory and jade)
- (figuratively) to learn by exchanging ideas and experiences; friendly competition; improvement by learning from others
|Kanji in this term|
|せつ > せっ
- applying oneself and studying hard to cultivate oneself
- Friendly competition, improving oneself by learning from others.
- apply oneself and study hard to improve oneself
- Try to improve by learning from others, apply oneself to closely to someone.
- The Kōjien (広辞苑) Dictionary of the Japanese Language, 5th edition, Iwanami Shoten Publishing, Tokyo.