Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
(as a Chinese god)
|simp. and trad.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): tin1 gon1
- Hakka (Sixian, PFS): thiên-kôn
- Min Nan (POJ): thian-kan
- Min Nan
- A heavenly stem: one of the ten terms used in East Asian cultures to represent
- (historical or astrology) A day of the traditional ten-day week.
- (mythology) One of the ten suns thought to appear in succession on its appointed day of the traditional week.
- (historical religion) The ancestor venerated with a ritual on the appointed day of the traditional week.
- (formal) An ordinal, used in similar contexts to Roman numerals in English numbering and outlining.
- The set of ten heavenly stems as a whole.
- (as a set): 十干 (shígān)
- 甲 (jiǎ, “first”)
- 乙 (yǐ, “second”)
- 丙 (bǐng, “third”)
- 丁 (dīng, “fourth”)
- 戊 (wù, “fifth”)
- 己 (jǐ, “sixth”)
- 庚 (gēng, “seventh”)
- 辛 (xīn, “eighth”)
- 壬 (rén, “ninth”)
- 癸 (guǐ, “tenth”)
- 地支 (dìzhī)