Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: :(
|Unicode name||LEFT PARENTHESIS|
|Unicode block||Basic Latin|
- Begins supplemental information
- Sen. John McCain (R., Arizona) spoke at length.
- (mathematics) Begins a mathematical phrase that has increased precedence in terms of operators
- Begins a parenthetical phrase
- I gave it to Fred (who was going there anyways) before I left.
- Begins denoting an alternative option for a preceding word.
- Go get the dog(s) - Here, s is a common shorthand for the plural dogs
- A variable with persistence that is currently above (below) its mean will tend not go below (above) its mean for some time.
- Represents a mouth vertically aligned, in order to form emoticons.
For usage examples of this term, see Citations:(.
- ﹙ (small form variant)
- to (Lojban)