Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: question-mark
- (typography) The punctuation mark ⟨?⟩, used at the end of a sentence to indicate a question.
- (figuratively, informal) doubt or uncertainty
- There’s a question mark over whether or not he’ll be fit for the next game.
2011 April 11, Phil McNulty, “Liverpool 3 - 0 Man City”, BBC Sport:
- Dirk Kuyt sandwiched a goal in between Carroll's double as City endured a night of total misery, with captain Carlos Tevez limping off early on with a hamstring strain that puts a serious question mark over his participation in Saturday's FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United at Wembley.
- (punctuation mark): interrogation mark, interrogation point; eroteme; interrogative (archaic); interrogative-point (obsolete)