Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: question-mark
- (typography) The punctuation mark ⟨?⟩, used at the end of a sentence to indicate a question.
- (figuratively, informal) doubt or uncertainty
- There’s a question mark over whether or not he’ll be fit for the next game.
2011 April 11, Phil McNulty, “Liverpool 3 - 0 Man City”, in BBC Sport:
- Dirk Kuyt sandwiched a goal in between Carroll's double as City endured a night of total misery, with captain Carlos Tevez limping off early on with a hamstring strain that puts a serious question mark over his participation in Saturday's FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United at Wembley.
- (punctuation mark): interrogation mark, interrogation point; eroteme; interrogative (archaic); interrogative-point (obsolete)
- dashes ( ‒ ) ( – ) ( — ) ( ― )
- ellipsis ( … )
- exclamation mark ( ! )
- fraction slash ( ⁄ )
- guillemets ( « » )
- hyphen ( - ) ( ‐ )
- interpunct ( · )
- interrobang (rare) ( ‽ )
- parentheses ( ( ) )
- period (US) or full stop (UK) ( . )
- question mark ( ? )
- quotation marks (formal, UK) ( ‘ ’ ) ( “ ” )
- quotation marks (informal, US, Computing) ( " ) ( ' )