Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Revised Romanization (translit.)?||eulo|
으로 • (-euro)
- to, toward: directional case marker, in a physical sense
- into, direction of a change: directional case marker in a metaphorical sense; expresses transformation or direction towards a certain time
- 사람이 호랑이로 변했다. ― Saram-i horang'i-ro byeonhaetda. ― The person turned into a tiger.
- 나무를 풀로 바꾸자. ― Namu-reul pul-lo bakkuja. ― Let's switch out the trees for grass.
- 올해로 한국어를 배운 지 3년이 됐다. ― Olhaero han'gugeo-reul bae'un ji 3nyeon-i dwaetda. ― This year it's been 3 years since I've started learning Korean.
- using, out of; with: instrumental case marker, marking material, instruments, or means of doing something
- 종이로 옷을 만들어봤다. ― Jong'i-ro os-eul mandeureo-bwatda. ― I tried making clothes out of paper.
- 칼로 돌을 깎았다. ― Kal-lo dor-eul kkakkatda. ― I carved the stone with a knife.
- 오랑캐로 오랑캐를 제어한다. ― Orangkae-ro orangkae-reul jeeohanda. ― One controls barbarians using [other] barbarians.
- 뒷문으로 둘어와. ― Dwinmuneuro dureowa. ― Come in through the back door.
- due to; from: instrumental case marker, marking causation
- as; as being; in the state of: instrumental case marker, marking state, manner, status, or capacity
- as of: instrumental case marker, marking an update in a list of previous events
- (archaic) from; egressive case marker, in a physical or chronological sense
- (Gyeongsang) Marks the direct object for certain action verbs, especially verbs that have a direct impact on the object.
- Synonym: (Standard Korean) 을 (-eul)
- Used in various expressions:
- Usually in the first sense, 으로 (-euro) is more indirect as it expresses going towards a certain direction or a certain location. 에 (-e) on the other hand, expresses a direct location, which is similar to 를 (-reul).