Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Probe
probe (plural probes)
- (surgery) Any of various medical instruments used to explore wounds, organs, etc. [from 15th c.]
- (figuratively) Something which penetrates something else, as though to explore; something which obtains information. [from 17th c.]
- An act of probing; a prod, a poke. [from 19th c.]
- (figuratively) An investigation or inquiry. [from 20th c.]
- They launched a probe into the cause of the accident.
- (aeronautics) A tube attached to an aircraft which can be fitted into the drogue from a tanker aircraft to allow for aerial refuelling. [from 20th c.]
- (sciences) A small device, especially an electrode, used to explore, investigate or measure something by penetrating or being placed in it. [from 20th c.]
- Insert the probe into the soil and read the temperature.
- (astronautics) A small, usually unmanned, spacecraft used to acquire information or measurements about its surroundings. [from 20th c.]
- (game of Go) a move with multiple answers seeking to make the opponent choose and commit to a strategy
- (biochemistry) Any group of atoms or molecules radioactively labeled in order to study a given molecule or other structure
- (game of go) yosu-miru
any of various medical instruments used to explore wounds, organs, etc
investigation or inquiry
sciences: electrode or other small device
radioactively labeled molecule
- (transitive, intransitive) To explore, investigate, or question
- If you probe further, you may discover different reasons.
- the growing disposition to probe the legality of all acts of the crown
- (transitive) To insert a probe into.
to explore, investigate, or question
to insert a probe into
- Noah Webster (1913), “probe”, in Noah Porter, editor, Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: G. & C. Merriam Company
- “probe”, in The Century Dictionary, New York: The Century Co., 1911
- First-person singular present of proben.
- First-person singular subjunctive I of proben.
- Third-person singular subjunctive I of proben.
- Imperative singular of proben.