Proto-Germanic is a hypothetical language. Words and roots in Proto-Germanic are not directly attested in any written works, but have been reconstructed through the comparative method, which finds regular similarities between languages that cannot be explained by coincidence or word-borrowing, and extrapolates ancient forms from these similarities.
According to our criteria for inclusion, Proto-Germanic should not be present in entries in the main namespace, but may be added to the Appendix: namespace.
Please see Wiktionary:About Proto-Germanic for considerations about Proto-Germanic entries.
Definitions, translations and related terms may be found at the entry Proto-Germanic.
- Category:gem-pro:All topics: Proto-Germanic words categorized by subject.
- Category:Proto-Germanic morphemes: Morphemes used to form Proto-Germanic words.
- Category:Proto-Germanic parts of speech: Proto-Germanic terms categorized by their part of speech.
- Category:Proto-Germanic lexicons: Proto-Germanic words categorized by their lexicons.
- Category:Regional Proto-Germanic: Proto-Germanic words categorized by regional dialects.
- Category:Proto-Germanic names: Proto-Germanic words that indicate names of individuals.
- Category:Proto-Germanic etymologies: Proto-Germanic terms categorized by their origins.
- Category:Terms derived from Proto-Germanic: Words derived from Proto-Germanic in various languages.
- Category:Proto-Germanic appendices: Miscellaneous information about Proto-Germanic language.
- Category:Requests (Proto-Germanic): Proto-Germanic entries that need attention of experienced editors.
- Category:User gem-pro: Wiktionary users categorized by fluency levels in Proto-Germanic.
- Category:Proto-Germanic templates: Proto-Germanic templates with predefined content for similar functions.
This category has the following 21 subcategories, out of 21 total.