烕 (radical 86 火+6, 10 strokes, cangjie input 戈竹一火 (IHMF), four-corner 53200, composition ⿵戌火)
- KangXi: page 670, character 12
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 19007
- Dae Jaweon: page 1079, character 7
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 2, page 1405, character 18
- Unihan data for U+70D5
Phono-semantic compound (形聲, OC *hmed): phonetic 戌 (OC *smid) + semantic 火 (“fire”).
Shuowen considers this to be an ideogrammic compound (會意): 戌 (“ninth month”) + 火 (“fire”), probably alluding to a passage in Huainanzi:
- 火生於寅，壯於午，死於戌 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- 火生于寅，壮于午，死于戌 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- Huǒ shēng yú yín, zhuàng yú wǔ, sǐ yú xū [Pinyin]
- [The element] fire is born in the first month, is strong in the fifth month, and dies in the ninth month.
Cognate with 滅 (OC *med); see there for more.
- † Original form of 滅／灭 (miè, “to extinguish; to destroy”).
- 赫赫宗周，褒姒烕之。 [Classical Chinese, trad. and simp.]
- From: The Classic of Poetry, circa 11th – 7th centuries BCE, translated based on James Legge's translation
- Hèhè Zōngzhōu, Bāo Sì miè zhī. [Pinyin]
- But the majestic honoured capital of Zhou,
Is being destroyed by Si of Bao.
(uncommon “Hyōgai” kanji)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text