Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Appendix:Variations of "aa"
- A standard size of dry cell battery between AAA and C.
- A bond rating.
- A brassiere size.
- A minor league in baseball, just below AAA.
AA (plural AAs)
- A member of Alcoholics Anonymous.
- An AA battery.
- Initialism of affirmative action.
- 2016, Angela L. Bos, “The unintended effects of political party affirmative action policies on female candidates’ nomination chances”, in Zoe M. Oxley, editor, Gender and Political Psychology, Routledge, →ISBN, page 73–74:
- Some of the rules guiding these nominations are afﬁrmative action (AA)1 policies intended to increase the inﬂuence of and to encourage nomination of women and minorities. […] A review of the extant literature on AA and its effect on decision-makers produces competing hypotheses about the potential impact on female candidates seeking party nomination.
- Initialism of air armament.
- Initialism of air attaché.
- Initialism of aircraft apprentice.
- Initialism of aircraft artificer.
- (aviation) Initialism of absolute altitude.
- (military) Initialism of anti-aircraft.
- (military) Initialism of avenue of approach.
- (military) Initialism of assembly area.
- Initialism of airman apprentice.
- Initialism of absolute alcohol.
- (psychology) Initialism of achievement age.
- Initialism of acting appointment.
- (chiefly US, politics) Initialism of administrative assistant.
- 2003, George Crile, Charlie Wilson's War: The Extraordinary Story of How the Wildest Man in Congress and a Rogue CIA Agent Changed the History of Our Times, New York: Grove Press, →ISBN, page 186:
- But Wilson's loyal administrative assistant, Charlie Simpson, felt that he couldn't put up with it anymore. […] “I have to learn how to be a congressman and you need to learn how to be an AA [administrative assistant],” Wilson had told Simpson. “And this is the first thing we have to do.” […] The experience left the AA believing that perhaps the two of them shared a special destiny.
- Initialism of adoption agency.
- Initialism of armament artificer.
- Initialism of athletic association.
- Initialism of author's alteration.
- Initialism of aviation annex.
- (organic chemistry) Initialism of aminoacyl.
- (organic chemistry) Initialism of amino acid.
- 2011, Alexander Cartus, “D-Amino Acids and Cross-Linked Amino Acids in Food”, in Dieter Schrenk; Alexander Cartus, editors, Chemical Contaminants and Residues in Food, Woodhead Publishing, →ISBN, page 251:
- All proteinogenic amino acids (AAs) are claimed to be levorotatory (L-configured). Nevertheless, dextrorotatory AAs (D-configured) are also found in nature (Gao et al., 2015; Ollivaux et al., 2014), for example, in the organic material of extraterrestrial comets (Cronin and Pizzarello, 1983), or, formed by slow racemization, in all dead biological material.
- (organic chemistry) Initialism of acetic acid.
- (organic chemistry) Initialism of acrylic acid.
- 2006, Gordon L. Robertson, “Structure and Related Properties of Plastic Polymers”, in Food Packaging: Principles and Practice, 2nd edition, CRC Press, →ISBN, page 25:
- For copolymers of ethylene, the other comonomer can be an alkene such as propene, butene, hexene or octene, or a compound having a polar functional group such as vinyl acetate (VA), acrylic acid (AA), ethyl acetate (EA), methyl acrylate (MA) or vinyl alcohol (VOH).
- (organic chemistry) Initialism of arachidonic acid.
- 2005, Michelle R. Lennartz, “Phospholipases and Phagocytosis”, in Carlos Rosales, editor, Molecular Mechanisms of Phagocytosis, Landes Bioscience / Eurekah.com; Springer Science+Business Media, Inc., →ISBN, page 106:
- Arachidonic acid (AA) is present at unusually high levels in the phospholipids of inflammatory cells. […] IgG-mediated phagocytosis results in the preferential release of AA over other fatty acids23 via activation of cPLA2 and iPLA2.
- (organic chemistry) Initialism of ascorbic acid.
- (biochemistry) Initialism of acetaldehyde adduct.
- 1995, Raymond F. Anton, Raye Z. Litten, John P. Allen, “Biological Assessment of Alcohol Consumption”, in John P. Allen; Megan Columbus, editors, Assessing Alcohol Problems: A Guide for Clinicians and Researchers, Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, →ISBN, page 36:
- The two tests presently in this category are the blood tests carbohydrate deficient transferrin (CDT) and hemoglobin or whole blood acetaldehyde adducts (AA). […] Measurement of AA in the blood has also generated a great deal of recent research interest.
- (biochemistry) Initialism of adrenal androgen.
- 2007, Bulent O. Yildiz, Enrico Carmina, Ricardo Azziz, “Hypothalamic–Pituitary–Adrenal Dysfunction in the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome”, in Ricardo Azziz; John E. Nestler; Didier Dewailly, editors, Androgen Excess Disorders in Women: Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and Other Disorders, 2nd edition, Totowa, NJ: Humana Press, →ISBN, page 213:
- Although the ovaries are the main source of androgen excess in PCOS, excess adrenal androgen (AA) levels (e.g., dehydroepiandrosterone [DHEA] and adrenal-secreted androsteredione [A4]) and adrenocortical dysfunction have also been observed in many patients with PCOS (2–6). Proof of the role of AA excess in the development of PCOS is circumstantial at best.
- (chemistry) Initialism of antioxidant activity.
- 2017, Xiuzhu Yu, “Spectroscopic Methods for Analysis of Edible Oils”, in Adriana S. Franca; Leo Nollet, editors, Spectroscopic Methods in Food Analysis, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, →ISBN, page 528:
- Antioxidant activity (AA) is one of the main and most acclaimed properties of edible oil, and the antioxidant properties of EVOO have been extensively highlighted (Tuck and Hayball, 2002; Vissers et al., 2004). AA is usually estimated by monitoring the scavenging of a free radical by antioxidants that lead to either the inhibition of a chemical reaction or the changes of reaction rate constants in an ongoing radical reaction.
- (chemistry) Initialism of atomic absorption.
- (immunology) Initialism of anti-antibody.
- (anatomy) Initialism of ascending aorta; also AAo.
- (anatomy) Initialism of abdominal aorta.
- (anatomy) Initialism of aortic arch.
- (medicine) Initialism of acute appendicitis.
- (medicine) Initialism of allergic asthma.
- (medicine) Initialism of alopecia areata.
- 2012, Yoshihiro Kuwano, Manabu Fujimoto, “Alopecia areata and chemokine”, in Victor R. Preedy, editor, Handbook of Hair in Health and Disease, Wageningen Academic Publishers, →ISBN, page 203:
- The existence of many autoimmune concurrent diseases supports that AA is an autoimmune disease. […] The incidence of type I diabetes in AA is intriguing; it is decreased in AA patients and increased in their relatives.
- (medicine) Initialism of anastomotic aneurysm.
- 2004, Alexander D. Shepard, Gary M. Jacobson, “Anastomotic Aneurysms”, in Jonathan B. Towne, Larry H. Hollier, editors, Complications in Vascular Surgery, 2nd edition, New York: Marcel Dekker, →ISBN, page 139:
- An anastomotic aneurysm (AA) is an aneurysm that occurs at an anastomotic interface between a graft and an artery. […] Recently, it has been recognized that an increasing number of AAs may in fact be true aneurysms occurring at the junction of a prosthetic graft and an artery.
- (medicine) Initialism of aplastic anemia.
- (medicine) Initialism of arterial aneurysm.
- 2009, Valery N. Kornienko, Igor Nicolaevich Pronin, “Cerebrovascular Diseases and Malformations of the Brain”, in Diagnostic Neuroradiology, Springer, →ISBN, page 199:
- Arterial aneurysms (AA) are local out-pouching of a blood vessel wall. […] According to the statistics, 90% of all AA are located in the anterior segments of the circle of Willis and only 10% in the posterior segments (Dandy 1944; Zlotnik 1967).
- (medicine) Initialism of arytenoid adduction.
- 2017, Mausumi N Syamal, Michael S Benninger, “Vocal Fold Immobility”, in KK Handa, editor, Textbook of Voice and Laryngology, New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers, →ISBN, page 75:
- If the paralysis is unilateral, arytenoid adduction (AA) procedures can be done to medialize the complex and arguably improve the results of an implant medialization.79 An AA arytenopexy can reconfigure the ipsilateral arytenoid for improved glottic closure, if needed.1,80
- Initialism of African-American.
- Initialism of Asian-African.
- Initialism of Asian-American.
- 2007, Marjorie Kagawa-Singer, Jung Hee Han, “Asian American Health and Disease: An Overview”, in Michael V. Kline; Robert M. Huff, editors, Health Promotion in Multicultural Populations: A Handbook for Practitioners and Students, 2nd edition, SAGE Publications, page 414:
- Asian Americans (AAs) constitute the fastest growing group in the United States, yet health promotion in this population is severely hampered by its invisibility in the U.S. population. […] This chapter will address each of the four factors that contribute to the lack of knowledge and health information about AAs.
- Initialism of assistant adjutant.
- (education) Initialism of Associate in Arts or Associate of Arts.
- Initialism of appropriate authority.
- (Britain, law) Initialism of appropriate adult.
- 2011, Layla Skinns, Police Custody: Governance, Legitimacy and Reform in the Criminal Justice Process, Routledge, →ISBN, page 61:
- An AA, who was a trained social worker, also felt that the volunteer AAs should be shown greater respect by the police (GMS14). At the same time, there was some awareness that AAs were unpaid among the private police staff, as one commented that she tried to be particularly nice to the AAs because of their volunteer status (e.g. SNS7).
- Initialism of approximate absolute.
- (statistics) Initialism of arithmetic average.
- Initialism of academic adviser.
- 2013, Yeno M Matuka Pierre, Through the Eye of the Needle, Xlibris, →ISBN, page 121:
- The AA said that given my background in English studies and applied linguistics, my introductory course in phonetics would be waved. Three of the four courses the AA prescribed included computer assisted instruction, which I eventually dropped due to overload, English language teaching methodology and psychology of second language learning.
- (politics) Initialism of Association Agreement: a treaty between the European Union, its member states and a non-EU country that creates a framework for cooperation between them.
- 2013, Amr Adly, “External factors and state reform”, in State Reform and Development in the Middle East: Turkey and Egypt in the Post-Liberalization Era, Routledge, →ISBN, page 200:
- Following the AA's enactment in June 2004, some institutional reform took place with the aim of enhancing the competitiveness of Egyptian products. […] The AA reflected a long-term and a rather broadly defined consideration of economic and social development and the process of market transformation in Egypt.
- (atomic absorption): AAS
- Initialism of Alcoholics Anonymous; also A.A.
- AA meeting
- 2013, Edward Kelsey Moore, The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat, Alfred A. Knopf, →ISBN, page 284:
- She said, “I'm an alcoholic, just like my mother was. It's a struggle, but I haven't had a drink in a while.” That was something she hadn't meant to say, something she had never said outside of an AA meeting. But, after it had been said, it felt like as good a way to start as any.
- Initialism of Academy Awards.
- 1995 April 4, Bruce Vilanch, “Working the AA program”, in The Advocate, number 678, page 67:
- Like a true AA follower (as in Academy Awards, not 12 steps), I never cared for Oscar parties. Somebody always talked through the songs or Vanessa Redgrave's speech or the costume parade, in which elegant runway models were forced to dress up as the farmers in Places in the Heart.
- Initialism of Addicts Anonymous.
- Initialism of Al Ain.
- (aviation) Initialism of American Airlines.
- 2012, Kaihan Krippendorff, “Today's Business Revolution”, in Outthink the Competition: How a New Generation of Strategists Sees Options Others Ignore, John Wiley & Sons, →ISBN, page 21:
- Alas, I fear, Netflix will soon break my heart. And it's an American icon that is warning me: American Airlines (AA). ¶ You see, middlemen are dying. Sabre, the former AA subsidiary that is now an independent global distribution system (GDS) supplying travel agencies and online travel agencies with ticket and pricing information, recently announced it was raising the rates it charges on AA tickets.
- (aviation) Initialism of Aerolíneas Argentinas.
- (aviation) Initialism of Ansett Australia or Ansett Airways.
- Initialism of Air Almanac, a publication.
- Initialism of American Anthropologist: the flagship journal of the American Anthropological Association, founded in 1888.
- Initialism of Acta Astronautica: a scientific journal founded in 1955, covering fields related to the peaceful scientific exploration of space.
- Initialism of Aluminum America, a corporation.
- Initialism of The Aluminum Association.
- (US, historical, baseball) Initialism of American Association: an American minor league baseball league from 1902 to 1962 and 1969 to 1997.
- (Britain) Initialism of The Automobile Association.
- Initialism of Alzheimer's Association.
- (US, historical) Initialism of Amalgamated Association of Iron and Steel Workers.
- 1985, James Holt, “Trade Unionism in the British and U.S. Steel Industries, 1888-1914: A Comparative Study”, in Daniel J. Leab, editor, The Labor History Reader, University of Illinois Press, →ISBN, page 170–171:
- In the American steel industry, only two labor organizations were of any great significance in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. These were the Amalgamated Association of Iron, Steel and Tin Workers (The A.A.), and the Knights of Labor. The A.A. was formed in 1876 when the United Sons of Vulcan, composed of iron puddlers and boilers, joined forces with several smaller unions of rolling mill hands and other skilled iron workers.
- (US, rail transport) Initialism of Ann Arbor Railroad.
- Initialism of Arlington Annex.
- (US, military) USPS military code of Armed Forces – Americas.
- 2010 October 29, Bill Shrum, “Shipping to soldiers for the holidays”, in Stuttgart (Arkansas) Daily Leader:
- • APO/FPO AE ZIPs 094-098 — Space Available Mail, Nov. 26; Parcel Airlift Mail, Dec. 3; Priority Mail, Dec. 10; First Class Mail Letters and Cards, Dec.10 and Express Mail Military Service, Dec. 18.
- • APO/FPO AA ZIP 340 — Space Available Mail, Nov. 26; Parcel Airlift Mail, Dec. 3; Priority Mail, Dec. 10; First Class Mail Letters and Cards, Dec. 10 and Express Mail Military Service, Dec. 18.
- • APO/FPO AP ZIPs 962-966 — Space Available Mail, Nov. 26; Parcel Airlift Mail, Dec. 3; Priority Mail, Dec. 10; First Class Mail Letters and Cards, Dec. 10 and Express Mail Military Service, Dec. 18.
- Initialism of Army Act.
- (dated, Russia) Initialism of aviatsionnaya Armiya.
- (physics) Initialism of Antiproton Accumulator.
- (occult) Alternative form of .
- 1999, James R. Lewis, Witchcraft Today: An Encyclopedia of Wiccan and Neopagan Traditions, ABC-CLIO, →ISBN, page 219:
- In Magic in Theory and Practice, Crowley explains his other Order, the Silver Star (Argentinum Astrum), which certainly does have such a degree. The AA is a totally secret occult organization in which any member should know only the person who initiated him or her and those whom he or she has initiated.
AA (not comparable)
- (military) Initialism of anti-aircraft; also a/a, A-A, A/A.
- (anatomy, medicine) Initialism of atlantoaxial.
- AA joint; AA instability
- (anatomy, medicine) Initialism of arterioarterial.
- AA anastomosis
- (linguistics) Initialism of Afro-Asiatic.
- (linguistics) Initialism of Austroasiatic.
AA m pl
- Abbreviation of Alcooliques Anonymes.
- Initialism of Anonyme Alkoholiker. (Alcoholics Anonymous)
- Initialism of Arbeitsamt.
- Initialism of Arbeitsanteil.
- Initialism of Arbeitsanweisung.
- Initialism of Arbeitsausschuss.
- Initialism of Assistenzarzt.
- Initialism of Aufgabeart.
- Initialism of Ausbildungsabteilung.
- Initialism of Auslandsabteilung.
- Initialism of Auswärtiges Amt.
- Initialism of American Airlines.
- Initialism of Alcohólicos Anónimos.