Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Niemand
From Dutch niemand, from Middle Dutch nieman, from Old Dutch nieman.
From Middle Dutch nieman, from Old Dutch nieman. Equivalent to n- + iemand.
niemand (genitive niemands)
- nobody, no one
- Niemand weet, niemand weet, dat ik Repelsteeltje heet.
- (please add an English translation of this usage example)
- Afrikaans: niemand
- Niemand (nonstandard in this use)
From Middle High German nieman, from Old High German nioman; equivalent to nie (“never”) + Mann (“man”). Cognate with Hunsrik nimmand.
- nobody, no one
- 1524, Martin Luther (lyrics), Johann Walter (music), “Christ lag in Todes Banden”:
- Den Tod niemand zwingen kunnt.
- Nobody could defeat death.
- Es ist gar niemand da. ― There's no one at all.
- Niemand is synonymous with keiner (“no one”), which is the nominalised masculine form of the pronoun kein (“no”). In written German, niemand is more common than keiner, whereas colloquial German often prefers the latter. (Note that keiner can also be used in other senses, in which niemand is not applicable.)
- Niemand may or may not take the case endings -em (dative) and -en (accusative). Thus: “Ich suche niemand” and “Ich suche niemanden” are both correct translations of “I'm looking for nobody.” The latter is somewhat more common (at least in writing). Using niemanden in the dative is incorrect, but it's a common error and occurs with surprising frequency in print. It was possible historically, but not in Modern German.
- With a following adjective, niemand is always uninflected. The adjective itself is capitalized and declined in the strong pattern. It generally uses neuter forms: niemand Neues – "nobody new". In the accusative case it may also take a masculine form: “Ich suche niemand Neuen” alongside “Ich suche niemand Neues.” ("I'm looking for nobody new.") The dative form has -em either way. The genitive case cannot be used with an adjective, but needs to be paraphrased.
- nominative: niemand
- genitive: niemandes, niemands
- dative: niemandem, niemand, niemanden (dated, nonstandard)
- accusative: niemanden, niemand
- → Hungarian: nímand
- Afrikaans terms inherited from Dutch
- Afrikaans terms derived from Dutch
- Afrikaans terms inherited from Middle Dutch
- Afrikaans terms derived from Middle Dutch
- Afrikaans terms inherited from Old Dutch
- Afrikaans terms derived from Old Dutch
- Afrikaans terms with audio links
- Afrikaans lemmas
- Afrikaans pronouns
- Dutch terms inherited from Middle Dutch
- Dutch terms derived from Middle Dutch
- Dutch terms inherited from Old Dutch
- Dutch terms derived from Old Dutch
- Dutch terms prefixed with n-
- Dutch terms with IPA pronunciation
- Dutch terms with audio links
- Dutch lemmas
- Dutch pronouns
- Dutch indefinite pronouns
- Dutch terms with usage examples
- German terms inherited from Middle High German
- German terms derived from Middle High German
- German terms inherited from Old High German
- German terms derived from Old High German
- German 2-syllable words
- German terms with IPA pronunciation
- German terms with audio links
- German lemmas
- German pronouns
- German terms with quotations
- German terms with usage examples
- German indefinite pronouns