Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɜː(r)və(r)
server (plural servers)
- One who serves; a waitress or waiter.
- A tray for dishes; a salver.
- (computing) A program which provides services to other programs or users, either in the same computer or over a computer network.
- (computing) A computer dedicated to running such programs.
2013 June 14, Jonathan Freedland, “Obama's once hip brand is now tainted”, The Guardian Weekly, volume 189, number 1, page 18:
- Now we are liberal with our innermost secrets, spraying them into the public ether with a generosity our forebears could not have imagined. Where we once sent love letters in a sealed envelope, or stuck photographs of our children in a family album, now such private material is despatched to servers and clouds operated by people we don't know and will never meet.
one who serves
preferred unisex term for a waitress or waiter
a tray for dishes
computing: a program which provides services to other programs or users
computing: a computer dedicated to running server programs
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- imperative of
Declension of server
declension of server
possessive forms of server
predicative forms of server
|ben (I am)||serverim||serverlerim*|
|sen (you are)||serversin||serverlersin*|
|o (he/she/it is)||server / serverdir||serverler* / serverlerdir*|
|biz (we are)||serveriz||serverleriz|
|siz (you are)||serversiniz||serverlersiniz|
|onlar (they are)||serverler||serverlerdir|
|ben (I was)||serverdim||serverlerdim*|
|sen (you were)||serverdin||serverlerdin*|
|o (he/she/it was)||serverdi||serverlerdi*|
|biz (we were)||serverdik||serverlerdik|
|siz (you were)||serverdiniz||serverlerdiniz|
|onlar (they were)||serverdiler||serverlerdi|
|indirect / unwitnessed past||singular||plural|
|ben (I was)||servermişim||serverlermişim*|
|sen (you were)||servermişsin||serverlermişsin*|
|o (he/she/it was)||servermiş||serverlermiş*|
|biz (we were)||servermişiz||serverlermişiz|
|siz (you were)||servermişsiniz||serverlermişsiniz|
|onlar (they were)||servermişler||serverlermiş|
|*Not used, but perhaps rarely - chiefly grammatical formations.
Note: Plural forms are not used with adjectives.