Jump to navigation Jump to search
switchback (plural switchbacks)
- A zigzag path, road or railway track; especially a railway track in which the train travels in a reverse direction at each switch [from 1860s]
- A hairpin bend.
- (dated, Britain) A roller coaster.
- (of a path etc) To zigzag.
- 2015 June 25, John Henderson, “A secret range of stunning mountains? Hikers, meet Slovakia's High Tatras”, in LA Times:
- I climbed 6,683-foot Velka Svistovka, not the highest mountain in the Tatras but arguably the one with the best view. I started from Zelene pleso chata (pleso means "lake" and chata means "hut" in Slovak), and right after turning the first corner I started switchbacking.
- Synonym: zigzag