Jump to navigation Jump to search
big; great; huge; large; major; wide; deep; oldest; eldest; doctor
|simp. and trad.
- (historical) A governmental job title used during the Spring and Autumn period, the Warring States period and the early Chinese dynasties, whose responsibilities encompassed managing royal and court affairs.
Derived terms from 大夫
- A surname.
|Kanji in this term|
- (historical) an office in Zhou Dynasty, China.
- (historical, in Japan) substitutive style of high ranked courtier, particularly officers in the 5th rank (五位).
- (historical, in Japan, also daibu) head of shoku(職) or bō(坊), administrative departments of the imperial court.
- (historical) karō (家老)
- pine tree (based in an episode Qin Shi Huangdi or the First Emperor of Qin granted a pine tree the dignity of Taifu [1.])
- style of Shinto shrine headmaster.
from taifu (see above)
- (in Noh-theater) iemoto or the head master of shite (シテ) acting family.
- (in jōruri/bunraku-theater) style of narrators and shamisen players.
- (historical, in Edo period) highest ranked prostitutes at the officially approved prostitution areas, such as, Yoshiwara.
- leading actor in a manzai pair
- style of Shinto shrine headmaster