肴 (radical 130, 肉+4, 8 strokes, cangjie input 大大月 (KKB), four-corner 40227, composition ⿱㐅有)
- cooked or prepared meat
- KangXi: page 976, character 18
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 29322
- Dae Jaweon: page 1427, character 31
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 3, page 2049, character 17
- Unihan data for U+80B4
Phono-semantic compound (形聲, OC *ɢraːw): phonetic 爻 (OC *ɢraːw) + semantic ⺼ (“meat”) – meat dishes.
Current form resembles 乂 + 有 – the lower 乂 of 爻 has moved to the side and down.
- prepared meat
|For pronunciation and definitions of 肴 – see 餚 (“meat dish”).|
(This character, 肴, is the simplified form of 餚.)
(“Jinmeiyō” kanji used for names)
Compound of Old Japanese elements 酒 (saka, “sake, rice wine”, old combining form of modern sake reading) + 菜 (na, “side dish”). Likely source of Okinawan さかな (sakana).
肴 (hiragana さかな, rōmaji sakana)
- a side dish served with alcoholic beverages: not necessarily fish, may be a vegetable or other meat
- entertainment at a drinking party
The fish sense is more commonly spelled 魚.
From Old Japanese. Also spelled variously in kanji in modern Japanese as 肴 (for meat or fish), 菜 (for vegetables), 魚 (for fish).
This reading appears to be obsolete in modern Japanese.
肴 (hiragana な, rōmaji na)
- a side dish, be it meat or fish or greens
- 肴 (sakana) (see above)
- 魚 (sakana) (see above)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1988, 国語大辞典（新装版） (Kokugo Dai Jiten, Revised Edition) (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Shogakukan
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2006, 大辞林 (Daijirin), Third Edition (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Sanseidō, →ISBN
- ^ 1995, 大辞泉 (Daijisen) (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Shogakukan, →ISBN
- ^ 1998, NHK日本語発音アクセント辞典 (NHK Japanese Pronunciation Accent Dictionary) (in Japanese), Tōkyō: NHK, →ISBN
肴 • (hyo) (hangeul 효, revised hyo, McCune–Reischauer hyo, Yale hyo)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text