Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Cash
- (uncountable) Money in the form of notes/bills and coins, as opposed to cheques/checks or electronic transactions.
- After you bounced those checks last time, they want to be paid in cash.
- 1810 July 13, William Cobbett, “To the Reader”, in Cobbett’s Weekly Political Register, volume XVIII, number 1, London: Printed by T[homas] C[urson] Hansard, Peterborough Court, Fleet Street; and sold by Richard Bagshaw, Brydges Street, Covent-Garden, and John Budd, Pall-Mall, published 14 July 1810, OCLC 1013264609, columns 13–14:
- When a man bargains for the price of maintaining such or such principles, or of endeavouring to make out such or such a case, without believing in the soundness of the principles or the truth of the case; such a man, whether he touch the cash (or paper-money) before or after the performance of his work, and whether he work with his tongue or his pen, may, I think be fairly charged with seeking after "base lucre;" […]
- (uncountable, finance) Liquid assets, money that can be traded quickly, as distinct from assets that are invested and cannot be easily exchanged.
- (uncountable, informal) Money.
- 2017, Erin Lowry, Broke Millenial, page 146:
- Paying yourself first also implies that you have some understanding of your cash flow, which means that, yes, you must set a budget.
- (countable, Canada) Cash register.
- (countable, gambling) An instance of winning a cash prize.
- 2012, Jonathan Little, Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker, Volume 2:
- In the WSOP, I have played around 150 tournaments with one final table, 11 cashes, and a -70 percent ROI.
- (countable, archaic) A place where money is kept, or where it is deposited and paid out; a money box.
money in the form of notes/bills and coins
- (transitive) To exchange (a check/cheque) for money in the form of notes/bills.
- (poker slang) To obtain a payout from a tournament.
Terms derived from the verb to cash
to exchange (a check/cheque) for money
- (slang) Great; excellent; cool.
cash (plural cashes or cash)
- Any of several low-denomination coins of India, China, or Vietnam, especially the Chinese copper coin.
low-denomination coins of India or China
cash n (plural cãshuri)
cash m (uncountable)
- (informal, of money) In coins and bills/notes.
- Heb je cash geld? — Do you have cash?
- “cash” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).