Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 English
- 2 Dutch
- 3 Hungarian
- 4 Norwegian Bokmål
- 5 Norwegian Nynorsk
hint (plural hints)
- A clue.
- I needed a hint to complete the crossword.
- A tacit suggestion that avoids a direct statement.
- He gave me a hint that my breath smelt.
- A small, barely detectable amount of.
- There was a hint of irony in his voice.
- I could taste a hint of lemon in the wine.
- (computing) Information in a computer-based font that suggests how the outlines of the font's glyphs should be distorted in order to produce, at specific sizes, a visually appealing pixel-based rendering. Also known as hinting.
- This font does not scale well; at small point sizes it has no hinting at all, and the hints that it has for the 10- and 12-point letter 'g' still need work.
- (obsolete) An opportunity; occasion; fit time.
- (small amount): see also Thesaurus:modicum.
- Japanese: ヒント (hinto)
opportunity, occasion, fit time
- (intransitive) To suggest tacitly without a direct statement; to provide a clue.
- She hinted at the possibility of a recount of the votes.
- (transitive) To bring to mind by a slight mention or remote allusion; to suggest in an indirect manner.
- to hint a suspicion
- Alexander Pope
- Just hint a fault and hesitate dislike.
- 1749, Henry Fielding, The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling. In Six Volumes, volume (please specify |volume=I to VI), London: Printed by A[ndrew] Millar, […], OCLC 928184292:
- We shall not describe this tragical scene too fully; but we thought ourselves obliged, by that historic integrity which we profess, shortly to hint a matter which we would otherwise have been glad to have spared.
- (transitive) To develop and add hints to a font.
- The typographer worked all day on hinting her new font so it would look good on computer screens.
develop and add hints to a font
- to scatter, sprinkle
- A cukrász porcukrot hint a süteményre. - The confectioner sprinkles powedered sugar on the cookie.
conjugation of hint
- a hint
- a hint
- “hint” in The Nynorsk Dictionary.