Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Slaughter
- slaughtre (obsolete)
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈslɔːtə/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈslɔtɚ/
- (cot–caught merger) IPA(key): /ˈslɑtɚ/
- Hyphenation: slaugh‧ter
- Rhymes: -ɔːtə(ɹ)
- (uncountable) The killing of animals, generally for food; ritual slaughter (kosher and halal).
- A massacre; the killing of a large number of people.
- on war and mutual slaughter bent
- A rout or decisive defeat.
- (The killing of animals, generally for food; ritual slaughter): kosher slaughter, ritual slaughter
- (a massacre): manslaughter
killing of animals (also kosher and halal rituals)
killing of many people
a decisive defeat
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
- (transitive) To butcher animals, generally for food
- (transitive) To massacre people in large numbers
- (transitive) To kill in a particularly brutal manner
to butcher animals, generally for food (also kosher and halal rituals)
to massacre people in large numbers
to kill in a particularly brutal manner