Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -aɪl
tile (plural tiles)
- A regularly-shaped slab of clay or other material, affixed to cover or decorate a surface, as in a roof-tile, glazed tile, stove tile, carpet tile etc.
1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 3, The China Governess:
- Sepia Delft tiles surrounded the fireplace, their crudely drawn Biblical scenes in faded cyclamen blending with the pinkish pine, while above them, instead of a mantelshelf, there was an archway high enough to form a balcony with slender balusters and a tapestry-hung wall behind.
- (computing) A rectangular graphic.
- Each tile within Google Maps consists of 256 × 256 pixels.
- Sprites and tiles that are hidden in the prototype ROM file can be recovered.
- Any of various types of cuboid playing piece used in certain games, such as in dominoes, Scrabble, or mahjong.
- (dated) A stiff hat.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Dickens to this entry?)
mostly rectangular shaped sheet of ceramic or fired clay to cover surfaces
- To cover with tiles.
- (computing) To arrange in a regular pattern, with adjoining edges (applied to tile-like objects, graphics, windows in a computer interface).
to cover with tiles
See tiler (“doorkeeper at a Masonic lodge”).
- To protect from the intrusion of the uninitiated.
- to tile a Masonic lodge
- tile the door