Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈtɪpˌtəʊ/, [ˈtʰɪpˌtʰəʊ̯]
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈtɪpˌtoʊ/, [ˈtʰɪpˌtʰoʊ̯]
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪptəʊ
tiptoe (plural tiptoes)
- (usually plural) The tips of one's toes collectively.
tips of one's toes
tiptoe (not comparable)
- Standing elevated, on or as if on the tips of one's toes.
- Night's candles are burnt out, and jocund day / Stands tiptoe on the misty mountain tops.
- above the tiptoe pinnacle of glory
- Moving carefully, quietly, warily or stealthily, on or as if on the tips of one's toes.
- with tiptoe step
- To walk quietly with only the tips of the toes touching the ground. [from late 14th c.]
1929, Al Dubin (lyrics), Joe Burke (music), “Tiptoe Through the Tulips” (song), performed by Nick Lucas:
- Tiptoe through the window / By the window, that is where I'll be / Come tiptoe through the tulips with me // Tiptoe from your pillow / To the shadow of the willow tree / And tiptoe through the tulips with me.
to walk quietly