Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (General American) IPA(key): /biˈjɑnd/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /biˈjɒnd/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒnd
- Further away than.
- On the far side of.
- Later than; after.
- Greater than; so as to exceed or surpass.
- Your staff went beyond my expectations in refunding my parking ticket.
- In addition to.
- Past, or out of reach of.
- The patient was beyond medical help.
- 1879, Richard Jefferies, The Amateur Poacher, chapterII:
- Orion hit a rabbit once; but though sore wounded it got to the bury, and, struggling in, the arrow caught the side of the hole and was drawn out. Indeed, a nail filed sharp is not of much avail as an arrowhead; you must have it barbed, and that was a little beyond our skill.
2012 September 7, Phil McNulty, “Moldova 0-5 England”, BBC Sport:
- England were graphically illustrating the huge gulf in class between the sides and it was no surprise when Lampard added the second just before the half hour. Steven Gerrard found his Liverpool team-mate Glen Johnson and Lampard arrived in the area with perfect timing to glide a header beyond Namasco.
further away than
on the far side of
later than; after
in addition to
beyond (not comparable)
unknown — see unknown
afterlife — see afterlife